What’s a low-carb diet?
Food with high carbohydrates is primarily sugary foods, pasta and bread. A low-carb diet is a diet where you consume mostly foods that contain low carbohydrates. These foods are including protein, natural fats and vegetables.
There are many different types of low-carb diets, and studies show that they are beneficial to health; it can cause weight loss and improve health such as diabetes type 2 sufferers.
From the picture above the foods which you should consume daily are:
- Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, high-fat dairy, fats, healthy oils and maybe even some tubers and non-gluten grains.
Foods that you should avoid in a low-carb diet:
- Sugar, High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), wheat, seed oils, trans fats, “diet” and low-fat products and highly processed foods.
The low-carb is a high-fat diet also known as low-carb high-fat diet (LCHF) or a keto diet. A keto or ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, which turns the body into a fat-burning machine. It has many proven benefits for weight loss, health and performance, as millions of people, have experienced already.
The net carbs of fruits:
The numbers next to the food’s name are the percentages of digestible carbohydrates
For example, 100 grams of Raspberries contain 5 grams of carbs. 100 grams of rockmelon contain 7 grams of carbs.
Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries can be eaten in small amounts on a keto low-carb diet.
On another hand, you can have pretty much all you want if you’re on a more moderate low-carb diet.
Blueberries contain a bit more carbs, so don’t overdo them – on a keto diet eat them only occasionally, in small amounts.
The net carbs of Nuts:
HOW MANY CARBS SHOULD I EAT ON A LOW-CARB DIET?
Everyone is different. A low-carb diet from one person can be the high-carb diet to another person. A person that lives a sedentary life demands different levels of energy from a proactive person. A person that has a health condition such as type 2 diabetes demands lower carbs to lower the glucose level.
- Ketogenic low carb < 20 grams carbs per day
- This is a ketogenic diet where the protein consumption is low or moderate.
- Moderate low carb 20-50 grams per day
- Liberal low carb 50-100 grams per day
Who should NOT do a strict low-carb diet?
Most people can safely start any kind of low-carb diet right away.
If you are in the following three situations then you might need extra preparation or adaptation:
- Are you on medication for diabetes, e.g. insulin?
- Are you on medication for high blood pressure?
- Are you breastfeeding?
If you’re not in any of these groups, you can start anytime.